Expression of Interest (EoI) to identify Advanced Manufacturing Aerospace Integrators or Sub-Systems Suppliers and SMMEs to participate in the AISI Technology Based Supplier Development Programme
The AISI is hosted and managed by the CSIR and has a specific aim of industrial development. The AISI is a fully government-funded mechanism to support the local South African aeronautics, defence, space and other sector-wide industries including marine.
The EoI is aimed at identifying applicants who are involved in aerospace manufacturing and who qualify as integrators or sub-systems suppliers or Small Medium Micro Enterprises (SMMEs) to participate in the AISI’s Technology Based Supplier Development Programme. The AISI’s Technology Based Supplier Development interventions provide enabling mechanisms to assist industry to improve its competitiveness, productivity and quality management systems. This will assist the industry to optimise its operations and procedures in order to ensure South African industry integration into global supply chains.
The AISI selected three supplier development interventions to assist aerospace SMMEs as well as non-SMME companies (higher integrators or sub-systems suppliers) and contribute to the global aerospace manufacturing industry. The AISI will provide support for these interventions to be undertaken at SMMEs and Non-SMMEs alike.
All SMME or non-SMME companies applying for assistance must be involved in aerospace and defence advanced manufacturing.
The interventions are:
- Technology Enhancement
- Technology Roadmapping
- Standards and Accreditation
- Supply Chain Optimisation
- All SMME or non-SMME companies applying for assistance must be involved in aerospace or defence, advanced manufacturing.
- Only SMMEs can apply for support in more than one area of intervention. Non-SMME companies can only apply for technology enhancement.
All technology validation and transfer projects must fall within one of the thematic areas in order to be approved for support. The thematic areas selected are at the discretion of the AISI and are seen as those most relevant for technology advancement in the South African Aerospace sector. These are:
- Aerostructures including advanced manufacturing and processing (digital manufacturing, unmanned aerial vehicles, surface treatment technologies, additive manufacturing, etc.);
- Propulsion; and
- Surveillance and Sensor Systems.
All technology validation and transfer projects must fall within one of the thematic areas in order to be approved for support.
All projects supported through the technology enhancement intervention must be at a TRL value of 4 or higher at the start of the project. Preference will be given to higher TRL projects. Evidence of this will need to be provided with the application. Refer to Annexure A for the TRL definitions.
Please download the application documents as follows:
- EoI Terms of Reference (TORs)
- Proposal Templates for either SMMEs or non-SMMEs can be downloaded from the TORs document (Page 20)
- NB: The TORs must be downloaded and opened from your desktop for the links to work
Closing Date and Time: 29 February 2024 at 16:30
(Potential beneficiaries can submit applications anytime between 22 March 2023 and 29 February 2024)
Please direct all queries to: